Custom Search

Friday, November 17, 2006

Am I the problem?



We just got the call from the nurse that my wife definitly ovulated and at "very very high levels". Last month they told us the ovulation was at "high levels" but now it is very very high. This, of course, is great news! The only downside is that if we aren't pregnant this month than I will have to go get checked. Could this mean that I have "slow swimmers"? or maybe they are just really bad at finding their way around.

I have been doing a bit of reading about sperm and fertilization. Apparently the X sperm (females) are strong and live long, but are slow, while the Y sperm (males) are fast, but weak and die quickly. What I want to know is, how did they discover this? And is there some kind of medical machine that would allow us to watch this race to fertilization take place. It would be cool if we could bet on which sperm will win, kind of like horse racing: "Here comes #4 around the corner, but #9 is not far behind...wait...wait...#6,890,876 is making a huge comeback in the outside lane!"
That would be awesome!