Custom Search

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Pee strips, spit testers, and basal thermometers

So, I thought buying ovulation kits would be a simple task. Little did I know that there were so many different types. We decided to give ourselves the possible best chance and so we tried three different types.

First, we have the pee strips. Now, many of the kits at the store have like 3 or 5 tests, which would be great if we knew when the magic three days were going to happen, but if we knew that then we wouldn't be buying the damn things. I decided to look on the internet and I came across 40 tests for like $15. At first I thought I would do some research on them, but I decided "what the hell" if they don't work I am out $15, no big deal. Well, needless to say, I should have researched them. We received them and I read the instructions and they were about as clear as mud--If one line shows up it means nothing, If two lines show up it could mean something but only if the second line is as dark or darker than the first line, and if so it means you may ovulate tomorrow. We tried them anyway, but we never got a good reading.

Second, we have the spit test. I don't know the science behind it all, but my wife would just spit on one end of this little plastic scope and then we would take the other end and place it over the spit so we could look at it through the magnifying eyehole. The instructions have some crappy drawings of what you are looking for, supposedly it should like like little ferns?? All I ever saw was magnified bubbly spit. The guy who invented this crappy thing must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Finally, we have the basal thermometer. This method is pretty popular among many people on the internet. You basically have the woman take her temp every morning and chart it. When the temp jumps up like .4 to .8 degrees than ovulation is occurring. So, we tried that too.